Netdata Community

App.netdata.cloud unreachable from IPv6-only hosts

Attempting to claim a system which is connected only via IPv6 results in output like the following:

Token: ****************
Base URL: https://app.netdata.cloud
Id: 8ddf1a8e-3ad1-11eb-88f9-61f414a43992
Rooms: a2175b79-9124-46b1-8cd2-cb90cad9defa
Hostname: ceph-mon1
Proxy:
Netdata user: netdata
Generating private/public key for the first time.
Generating RSA private key, 2048 bit long modulus (2 primes)
...........................+++++
.........................+++++
e is 65537 (0x010001)
Extracting public key from private key.
writing RSA key
Failed to connect to https://app.netdata.cloud, return code 7

The mention of a proxy makes me wonder if a dual-stack host could be used to work around this issue, but if that’s needed, it would be super helpful for the claim script to mention it. Of course the best option would be a working AAAA record for app.netdata.cloud.

Hey @rcsheets,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I am pinging our Netdata Cloud team, as I am not sure whether this is a bug or a feature. If it’s a bug, I will move this discussion to #support:cloud-support.

cc @Manos_Saratsis and @Leonidas_Vrachnis

Cheers!

:joy:

Thanks for the response.

1 Like

So, apparently, this is a feature, although we want to support IPv6-only systems, I can’t give you a tentative timeline at this time.

I hope you can figure out how to use IPv4 in the meantime.

BTW, why do you use an IPv6-only system? We are very interested in every use-case of Netdata Agent and Netdata Cloud, so any information is very valuable to us.

Cheers!

Can you provide any info or pointers to relevant documentation regarding a proxy? I noticed that I’m not using one, but it appears there may be some support for a proxy. That would be a reasonable workaround for me, if I can set the proxy up on a dual-stack host.

My Ceph cluster has no need of IPv4 connectivity, and I have a limited number of IPv4 addresses. Setting up NAT seems like extra work. Everything else these systems require is working fine without IPv4, so I’d prefer not to set up a private IPv4 network and NAT just to get these systems talking to app.netdata.cloud.

Regarding the proxy, I have no personal experience myself. It would appear that you need some kind of reverse proxy. I have pinged my colleagues and we will update you when we have some more information.

Thanks for the use-case! So that would be a homelab and not a professional environment, correct? It’s interesting that IPv6 actually reduces complexity for you. Thanks for this great feedback!