Netdata Community

Disable or hide the new Overview feature

Problem/Question

When I open my workspace and then any of my war rooms the Overview pops up. Sadly this feature is absolutely useless to me (and the company I work for), as I need to see the specific loads on the machines itself - the Overview hides the fact that one machine is at it limits pretty good! Also many specific information e.g. about the running containers are completely lost! Therefore I always have to open the little drop-down to select the classic node list - which is fine, if I wouldn’t have so many machines, all grouped into separate war rooms. This really slows down my workflow to checkout multiple nodes when switching between war rooms and is also very frustrating! So, is there any way to disable this and just hide the Overview completely?

Environment/Browser

Firefox, Chrome - every browser, as it seem intentional!

What I expected to happen

Is there some sort of setting to disable this?

@simonmicro thanks for using Netdata Cloud and for your comments. You can change the grouping function to group by node to see for a specific metric all the nodes in a War Room perform. We should offer a control to do it centrally and we are thinking to use the group by node as the default configuration. Please let us know if this would be preferred by you.

The current option group by dimension helps users to see aggregations of the same metric for different nodes but you cannot drill down.

I did not fully understand your comment about hiding your containers. Are your containers claimed as separate nodes in Cloud?

Hi, as first thank you for your fast and courteous reply - I really appreciate that!
Yes, your idea would be an approach in the right direction (to use the by nodeby default), but there are more problems:

• For example on multiple machines I/we’ve got Docker containers running. Normally they popup in the sidebar as own entries when Netdata detects their presence. The Overview does not supports that and therefore they get hidden.
  • Also the by node view drops other useful information for example at the load graph: By dimension works well enough, but mixes up the different machines and by node sums the loads together, so I can’t tell the 5 vs 15 minute loads anymore.
  • Also the Node view directly highlights any machine with warnings or critical alerts, so I can quickly see whats going wrong where - the Overview also can’t satisfy this requirement for me.

Do I just oversee some settings to fix these points?

Maybe this should be more treated as an feature request: I would propose a new option, which allows the user to specify which view (Overview, Nodes or specific Dashboards) he wants to select as the default one for the given war room. Sadly I’m not familiar which technologies are used for Netdata Cloud neither do I have any (free) time currently, so I can’t implement such a feature on my own.

Thank you for your assistance in advance,
Simonmicro

@simonmicro Thanks again.

• Yes, this is a problem already identified. We will work on it. An approach that could help you is to claim the Docker containers and have them as different nodes in your War Rooms
  • The by node by default is selecting a single dimension load1which gives you an idea about the load of your different nodes. The advice is to use one at a time load1 or load5 or load15, the option to sum them does not make much sense.
  • The Overview still needs improvements. We will offer a map with the nodes and alarm status at some point. Also ability to see information about a single node within the Overview. Good news for you is that we are working on a new navigation that will satisfy your needs, except of the one for the default view. Please wait 10 days.

We hear you about the default Cloud view, is a sensible feature and we will implement it at some point.

That sounds great, I’ll leave this thread open until the new navigation is available. Until then: Thank you for your support!

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @simonmicro !

I am moving this to the Feature Request category #feature-requests:cloud-fr so that people can vote on it to get it prioritised.