Netdata Community

Should the netdata agent updater remember the TMPDIR set at installation time?

My /tmp has the noexec flag set, so I have to run the installer as follows:

TMPDIR=<...> bash <(curl -Ss https://my-netdata.io/kickstart.sh)

Looking at /etc/cron.daily/netdata-updater, would it be better if it remembered the TMPDIR value passed to it during the first installation?

@Austin_Hemmelgarn did we change this recently? I remember this was reported before.

We’ve never actually persisted this bit of configuration. It should not be hard to do so though, and I think it’s probably a good idea.

I’ve created an issue for this at https://github.com/netdata/netdata/issues/10377, though I will probably not get around to it until mid Janruary (we have a release planned next week, and then I’m off the two weeks after that).

2 Likes

Welcome @therealgilles to our little community. I hope that Thiago and Austin solved your question. If they did, please do mark one of the replies as the solution.

Folks, thanks for answering so promptly :slight_smile:

Hi @OdysLam, thank you for the welcome message.

I think we can track the issue and its resolution through the filed github issue. How do I mark one of the replies as the solution?

Hey, no worries, most people can’t find it the first time.

Click on the 3 bullets on the left of “reply” on the post and then click on “solution”. I think the most appropriate is the post of @Austin_Hemmelgarn, since he mentioned the GitHub issue.

Agreed on the solution post. The problem is I don’t see the 3 bullets on that post. I see this:

What am I missing? Do I need to acquire the right to mark a post as solution?

1 Like

You are absolutely right, my bad. For some reason I was under the impression that we were discussing in one of our support categories.

This is a feature request, thus there is no need to mark something as solution.

Thanks @therealgilles and do stick around in the Netdata Community :slight_smile:

This problem is happening again.

/etc/cron.daily/netdata-updater: line 207: /tmp/netdata-updater-RRnem6ACUO/netdata-updater.sh: Permission denied
run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/netdata-updater exited with return code 126

Still happening:

/etc/cron.daily/netdata-updater:
/etc/cron.daily/netdata-updater: line 207: /tmp/netdata-updater-KryonDqTwx/netdata-updater.sh: Permission denied
run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/netdata-updater exited with return code 126