Need help analyzing a server crash after systemd services decline over 2 h period

I’m trying to troubleshoot a server crash(s), so this post is more about how to get value from netdata rather than a problem with the software. The only clue so far is a drop-off in the systemd services chart, both active and inactive, for a couple of hours before the reboot. This has happened to a couple servers over the last year, including this one, and I am still stumped as to how to find the cause. I was hoping someone might help me get more info out of Netdata that might help.

On close inspection, the first service to go down was NetworkManager-wait-online_service followed by kmod-static-nodes_service about 30 sec later. I don’t know what to make of that, or why NetworkManager-wait-online was even active. Most other services crash over the next 2 hours, culminating in a reboot.

I’ve tried to find other metrics that showed unusual behaviour just before the decline started (before 11:30 AM). The BMC registered no system errors, so it may not be a hardware problem.

netdata v1.42.0-221-nightly, with sensors and nvidia-smi, ubuntu20.04.6
Epyc 7282, 128GB RAM, H12SSL MB

Can anyone give suggestions as to where to look next? Has anyone seen something similar before?

Hello @Andrew, can you

1. run metric correlations with multiple timeframe windows near the incident (Let’s say I would run a metric correlation of 60 secs, [delta 3/4 (of the window) before the point of interest, delta 1/4 (of the window) after the point of interest]

2. Check for anomaly rates in any chart near the incident, via the Anomaly advisor

3. Since Netdata gives you a timestamp, check the journal logs of your system