Non existent .environment file

Hello everyone,

As a novice Unix user who is new to the world of system monitoring, I want to express my sincere gratitude to the Netdata developers. Your incredible monitoring and troubleshooting tool has transformed my experience in managing and optimizing my systems. Thank you for your dedication and expertise!

I would like to reach out to this knowledgeable community for assistance. As a newcomer to monitoring, I have a specific question to ask, but I must admit that my attempts to find an answer through Google & Co have been quite fruitless. It seems I require the expertise and insights of experienced individuals like you who can provide real-world guidance.

Question:

• Why is there no .environment file?

Everytime I restart netdata I get the following error in the log:

2023-07-11 22:23:23: netdata ERROR : MAIN : PROCFILE: Cannot open file '/etc/netdata/.environment' (errno 2, No such file or directory)

Please find some more system data below

Your collective knowledge and experience are invaluable, especially when Google searches fall short. I appreciate your willingness to help a novice like me navigate the complexities of system monitoring.

Thank you all in advance for your support and patience. Your assistance means a lot as I strive to learn and grow in this new endeavor.
deekee

Installation method:
kickstart.sh

System info:
Linux MacMini 6.3.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.3.7-1 (2023-06-12) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Netdata build info:
Version: netdata v1.40.1
Configure options: ‘–build=x86_64-linux-gnu’ ‘–includedir=${prefix}/include’ ‘–mandir=${prefix}/share/man’ ‘–infodir=${prefix}/share/info’ ‘–disable-option-checking’ ‘–disable-silent-rules’ ‘–libdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu’ ‘–libexecdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu’ ‘–disable-maintainer-mode’ ‘–prefix=/usr’ ‘–sysconfdir=/etc’ ‘–localstatedir=/var’ ‘–libdir=/usr/lib’ ‘–libexecdir=/usr/libexec’ ‘–with-user=netdata’ ‘–with-math’ ‘–with-zlib’ ‘–with-webdir=/var/lib/netdata/www’ ‘–disable-dependency-tracking’ ‘build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu’ ‘CFLAGS=-g -O2 -ffile-prefix-map=/usr/src/netdata=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security’ ‘LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro’ ‘CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2’ ‘CXXFLAGS=-g -O2 -ffile-prefix-map=/usr/src/netdata=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security’
Install type: binpkg-deb
Binary architecture: x86_64
Packaging distro:
Features:
dbengine: YES
Native HTTPS: YES
Netdata Cloud: YES
ACLK: YES
TLS Host Verification: YES
Machine Learning: YES
Stream Compression: YES
HTTPD (h2o): YES
Libraries:
protobuf: YES (system)
jemalloc: NO
JSON-C: YES
libcap: NO
libcrypto: YES
libm: YES
tcalloc: NO
zlib: YES
Plugins:
apps: YES
cgroup Network Tracking: YES
CUPS: YES
debugfs: YES
EBPF: YES
IPMI: YES
NFACCT: YES
perf: YES
slabinfo: YES
Xen: NO
Xen VBD Error Tracking: NO
Exporters:
AWS Kinesis: NO
GCP PubSub: NO
MongoDB: NO
Prometheus Remote Write: YES
Debug/Developer Features:
Trace Allocations: NO

Hi, @deekee. You can ignore that log message. I removed it in 15371.

Thanks for your quick response!