Cloud shows false alarm about outdated agent versions

I have updated all agents to 1.36.0 today, but the cloud dashboard still shows the red banner that all nodes are using outdated versions. When I click on the alert indicator, I get a popup where it shows 1.36.0 for all agents, but still the security alert being red on each of them.

Hello @jurgenhaas, thanks for the report, we are aware of this. It seems to be a small bug. ignore this alert for now

Tasos.

Is this bug solved? I have 2 nodes of which the cloud says they have outdated versions (1.39.1). But they are at the latest build for months.(currently v1.42.0-33-nightly.)

Well, for me it’s even worse now: most of my hosts are on Ubuntu 18, and they are all on Netdata 1.38.1 - no newer version available from the repository deb http://repo.netdata.cloud/repos/stable/ubuntu/ bionic

The console, however, doesn’t warn me about all of them, just a few are recognized of being outdated. Very strange.

That also raises the question why we can’t update to newer Netdata on Ubuntu 18?

Is this issue still persisting? Could you share with me through email, hugo@netdata.cloud, your space id?

You can see the list of the current supported platforms here

We are no longer building new native packages for Ubuntu 18, as it is out of regular maintenance since 2023-05-31. For users on these older versions the suggestion is:

Install a static build instead of the native packages.

Note that you should uninstall Netdata and its plugins completely (purge). If you need to keep the previously collected data, make sure you make a backup of the /var/*/netdata directories, and transplant them to /opt/netdata/var/*/netdata after installing the static build, while Netdata isn’t running.

Note: just referencing the source of the suggestion provided on a another thread E: Unable to locate package netdata-plugin-systemd-journal - #2 by ralphm

1 Like

Yeah, not only the outdated Ubuntu 18 was causing confusion, but also some inconsistency in other places like e.g. it wasn’t predictable where Netdata got installed across different platforms, which made automation with Ansible pretty difficult.

I now went at length to completely wipe Netdata from all hosts and start from scratch by going to static builds. There I discovered another bug (see [Bug]: Netdata updater doesn't update to 1.42.1 · Issue #15851 · netdata/netdata · GitHub) but now things seem to be resolved.

1 Like