How does prometheus keep data up-to-date?

If streaming data to grahite, netdata pushes data to time-series database. If collecting data with interval 1s, netdata will also push data to graphite at 1Hz.

However, if we use prometheus as backend, netdata won’t push data on its own. Instead, prometheus pulls data from netdata via http api.

Here comes the question: If netdata collects data at 1Hz, prometheus pulls data every 10s.
Is pulled data by prometheus only the latest data?( data collected the last 1s)
How could prometheus keep data integrity?

Hello @oleotiger,

Our documentation gives details about the accuracy of our metrics. You do not need to worry, the data won’t be missed. By default netdata uses average as source, but you can change the source as described in this section.

Best regards!

What’s the differents between backend and export?

If I use netdata in distributing architecture ( one centralized netdata and other agent stream metrics to it), which should I use?

Is backend only store data of the server it runs on?

What’s the differents between backend and export?

Backend is the old version of exporter, we brought the exporter to improve the features that backend had.

If I use netdata in distributing architecture ( one centralized netdata and other agent stream metrics to it), which should I use?

We recommend you to use the exporter for any scenario, because the backend will be removed soon as you can see here.

Is backend only store data of the server it runs on?

I will answer this for exporter, based in the answer I gave to you previously. Netdata will send all hosts that it has stored inside the database, but you can limit the hosts that will be sent using the configuration option send hosts matching, for more details, please, take a look in our documentation.

Best regards!