Interface Total Data

Hi Guys.

I’m new to Netdata and I really like all the metrics that can be seen. I am however trying to find a way in whcih I can see the total traffic for a given interface for lets say a day, a week or maybe a year.

Is this possible with Netdata?

Hey @badenhorstadmin and welcome to the forums!

The retention that you mention depends on the configuration you have made for the time-series database.
Documentation:

According to our documentation, the Netdata Agent should automatically pick up all your network interfaces:

I am looking for almost the same metrics. To be precise I would like to get the total recieved and sent bytes for a network interface. The same metrics that are displayed with ifconfig for RX bytes ( 589239881 ) and TX bytes ( 829409843 )
And I must admit I don’t really understand how the link in the reply can help me with that.

$ ifconfig
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        RX packets 5828126  bytes 589239881 (561.9 MiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 2083411  bytes 829409843 (790.9 MiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

The closest thing that we have to what you want is a call like the following. The specific call takes the Mbit/sec measurements and converts it to Mbit/hour (3600 sec). The “after” just asks for the past 4 hours.

http://london3.my-netdata.io/api/v1/data?chart=system.net&gtime=3600&after=-14400

The link below has an example of a custom chart that would display such metrics per hour (or per whatever you want): Custom dashboards | Learn Netdata

Unfortunately I don’t see a “grouping” setting available in the per chart configuration of the charts that appear in the default dashboard: Daemon configuration | Learn Netdata

Perhaps if there’s enough demand we can add the option there as well.

Hope this helps. Not exactly what you asked for, but it’s the closest we have

1 Like