1m_tcp_accept_queue_drops

1m_tcp_accept_queue_drops

This alert presents the average number of dropped packets in the TCP accept queue over the last
sixty seconds. If it is raised, then the system is dropping incoming TCP connections. This could also be
an indication of accepted queue overflow, low memory, security issues, no route to a destination, etc.

• This alert gets raised to warning when the value is greater than 1 and less than 5.
  • If the number of queue drops over the last minute exceeds 5, then the alert gets raised to critical.
TCP Accept Queue Drops

The accept queue holds fully established TCP connections waiting to be handled by the listening application.
It overflows when the server application fails to accept new connections at the rate they are coming in.

References and sources
  1. ip-sysctl.txt
  2. Transmission Control Protocol

Troubleshooting Section

Check for queue overflows

If you receive this alert, then you can cross-check its results with the 1m_tcp_accept_queue_overflows alert. If that alert is also in a warning or critical state, then the system is experiencing accept queue overflowing. To fix that you can do the following:

1. Open the /etc/sysctl.conf file and look for the entry " net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog".

The tcp_max_syn_backlog is the maximal number of remembered connection requests
    (SYN_RECV), which have not received an acknowledgment from connecting client. 1

2. If the entry does not exist, then append the following default entry to the file; net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog=1280.
    Otherwise, adjust the limit to suit your needs.
  3. Save your changes and run;
    root@netdata~ #sysctl -p 

to apply the changes.

Note: Netdata strongly suggests knowing exactly what values you need before making system changes.

does somaxconn value have any impact on TCP accept queue?

somaxconn - INTEGER
    Limit of socket listen() backlog, known in userspace as SOMAXCONN.
    Defaults to 4096. (Was 128 before linux-5.4)
    See also tcp_max_syn_backlog for additional tuning for TCP sockets.

I keep getting this alert, my iface is showing 15000+ dropped RX packets, my tcp_max_syn_backlog = 2048, but still getting overflows, wondering if bumping up somaxconn (currently at 128) will help