Aborted Installation

kind suggestion dir -a /etc/netdata

[root@xxxxxxxx ~]# dir -a /etc/netdata
. … charts.d conf.d health.d .install-type netdata.conf python.d statsd.d

I had to wait 1 hour now to REPLY, maybe it is possible, that you can give me more directions for every post.

Many thanks :sweat_smile:

Hey Tasos,

I tried the same process on another server to make a new clean installation and I had the same error and do not work on the NetData cloud (offline).

Ok let’s make a full cleanup (cover any case).

Try the following

1. Stop the current netdata

$ systemctl stop netdata

2. List all the native netdata packages (if they exist)

$ rpm -qa | grep netdata

3. Uninstall these packages (if they exist)

$ rpm -e  <PACKAGE>

4. Find any directories of netdata

$ find / -type d -name "netdata"

5. We care for netdata directories under [/usr, /opt, /var, /etc, /lib]

6. Delete those directories (beware; do not delete any of your staff). Ask for help if you see something strange

7. Go to this site and run the Install Netdata with kickstart.sh | Learn Netdata script. (this is the recommended way, please do not use anything else atm)

Please keep me posted for any hiccup you face.

I did everything you said, it ran perfectly until the end when got out this error:

WARNING Could not find netdata-updater.sh. This means that auto-updates cannot (currently) be enabled on this system. See Update Netdata | Learn Netdata for more information about updating Netdata.

Successfully installed the Netdata Agent.

The following non-fatal warnings or errors were encountered:

• Could not find netdata-updater.sh. This means that auto-updates cannot (currently) be enabled on this system. See Update Netdata | Learn Netdata for more information about updating Netdata.

And I still can not see the server ONLINE on NetData cloud.

Wait a second let’s verify your installation now.

run $ netdata -W buildinfo

netdata -W buildinfo
Version: netdata v1.34.1
Configure options: ‘–build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu’ ‘–host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu’ ‘–program-prefix=’ ‘–disable-dependency-tracking’ ‘–prefix=/usr’ ‘–exec-prefix=/usr’ ‘–bindir=/usr/bin’ ‘–sbindir=/usr/sbin’ ‘–sysconfdir=/etc’‘–datadir=/usr/share’ ‘–includedir=/usr/include’ ‘–libdir=/usr/lib64’ ‘–libexecdir=/usr/libexec’ ‘–localstatedir=/var’ ‘–sharedstatedir=/var/lib’ ‘–mandir=/usr/share/man’ ‘–infodir=/usr/share/info’ ‘–enable-plugin-freeipmi’ ‘–with-bundled-protobuf’ ‘–with-zlib’ ‘–with-math’ ‘–with-user=netdata’ ‘build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu’ ‘host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu’ ‘CFLAGS=-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic’ ‘LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-ld’ ‘CXXFLAGS=-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic’ ‘PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig’
Install type: custom
Features:
dbengine: YES
Native HTTPS: YES
Netdata Cloud: YES
ACLK Next Generation: YES
ACLK-NG New Cloud Protocol: YES
ACLK Legacy: NO
TLS Host Verification: YES
Machine Learning: YES
Stream Compression: NO
Libraries:
protobuf: YES (bundled)
jemalloc: NO
JSON-C: YES
libcap: YES
libcrypto: YES
libm: YES
tcalloc: NO
zlib: YES
Plugins:
apps: YES
cgroup Network Tracking: YES
CUPS: NO
EBPF: NO
IPMI: YES
NFACCT: NO
perf: YES
slabinfo: YES
Xen: NO
Xen VBD Error Tracking: NO
Exporters:
AWS Kinesis: NO
GCP PubSub: NO
MongoDB: NO
Prometheus Remote Write: YES

So either

1. The cleanup was not succesful
  2. Or the Install Netdata with kickstart.sh | Learn Netdata command (I suppose you pass the option --stable-channel, please ACK that you done that) has an upstream bug

As you said before your platform is CentOS 7.9, kickstart script should have installed the native packages for your distro (Netdata platform support policy | Learn Netdata)

Many thanks for your answer but is not resolutive at all, it’s so complicated to install NetData, I had tried the same process with New Relic, and was done in 5 minutes and had no problems at all…

What do I have to do to install successfully NetData?

Uninstall manually again and run this command :wget -O /tmp/netdata-kickstart.sh https://my-netdata.io/kickstart.sh && sh /tmp/netdata-kickstart.sh

As I have this on the link did you send it to me yesterday? --stable-channel was not in there

Another thing is I can reply once per hour and that is awfully for someone that needs support.

Hey Tasos,

I don’t know what happen but NetData starts to work on the server and on NetData Cloud!!

How that’s possible 2 days later?

As well to install on the servers I use the code on the “add a node” tad on NetData cloud, that’s correct?

Many thanks.

Another difference I can see from the other server on the Netdata cloud is:

CentOS Linux • 2.794 GHz • 64 Cores • x86_64 • 252 GiB RAM • 1.7 TiB HD

Linux • 3.10.0-1160.66.1.el7.x86_64

Bare Metal

the other one no show any of these information:

N/A • N/A • 0 Cores • N/A • N/A • N/A

N/A

Bare Metal

How can I solve this?

Many thanks.

I don’t believe in magic, something may changed, could you verify you netdata -v. You may have took the latest update.

We need to compare the two servers, Let’s compare the:

1. Distro/release (exact version)
  2. netdata -v
  3. uname -r

that one that don’t work everything:

netdata -v
netdata v1.35.0-1-nightly

uname -r
3.10.0-1160.66.1.el7.x86_64

That one works everything perfectly:

netdata -v
netdata v1.34.1

uname -r
3.10.0-1160.66.1.el7.x86_64

Both of them running CentOS 7.9? What about hardware/cloud provider, are those machines identical?

This is really strange (not working in v1.35-1) but yes let’s elaborate on this also.

No they are not identical machines, one is:

CentOS Linux • 2.794 GHz • 64 Cores • x86_64 • 252 GiB RAM • 1.7 TiB HD

the other where is not working are:

CentOS Linux • 2.794 GHz • 32 Cores • x86_64 • 64 GiB RAM • 760 GB HD

Hey Tasos,

I had tried a clean install in another server identical of the 64GiB RAM before, I first use the kickstart as you told me, after that I grab the code on NetData cloud to add a new node and the out put is it:

Downloading newest version of updater script.
//usr/libexec/netdata/netdata-updater.sh: line 423: /tmp/netdata-updater-oOO0OOQkvT/netdata-updater.sh: Permission denied
FAILED

The following non-fatal warnings or errors were encountered:

• Command “//usr/libexec/netdata/netdata-updater.sh --not-running-from-cron” failed with exit code 1.

ABORTED Failed to update existing Netdata install at /.

I have no problem to check with you every issue in this thread (we should consider fork new issues in new topics) , but to reduce the amount of messages, could you always state the netdata -v (or even better the netdata -W buildinfo), the host OS and exact section in our docs that you follow to do an action for the host in question?

netdata -v
netdata v1.35.0-1-nightly

netdata -W buildinfo
Version: netdata v1.35.0-1-nightly
Configure options: ‘–build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu’ ‘–host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu’ ‘–program-prefix=’ ‘–exec-prefix=/usr’ ‘–bindir=/usr/bin’ ‘–sbindir=/usr/sbin’ ‘–datadir=/usr/share’ ‘–includedir=/usr/include’ ‘–sharedstatedir=/var/lib’ ‘–mandir=/usr/share/man’ ‘–infodir=/usr/share/info’ ‘–with-bundled-libJudy’ ‘–with-bundled-protobuf’ ‘–prefix=/usr’ ‘–sysconfdir=/etc’ ‘–localstatedir=/var’ ‘–libexecdir=/usr/libexec’ ‘–libdir=/usr/lib’ ‘–with-zlib’ ‘–with-math’ ‘–with-user=netdata’ ‘–disable-dependency-tracking’ ‘build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu’ ‘host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu’ ‘CFLAGS=-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 -mtune=generic’ 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro ’ ‘CXXFLAGS=-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 -mtune=generic’ ‘PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig’
Install type: binpkg-rpm
Binary architecture: x86_64
Packaging distro:
Features:
dbengine: YES
Native HTTPS: YES
Netdata Cloud: YES
ACLK Next Generation: YES
ACLK-NG New Cloud Protocol: YES
ACLK Legacy: NO
TLS Host Verification: YES
Machine Learning: YES
Stream Compression: NO
Libraries:
protobuf: YES (bundled)
jemalloc: NO
JSON-C: YES
libcap: NO
libcrypto: YES
libm: YES
tcalloc: NO
zlib: YES
Plugins:
apps: YES
cgroup Network Tracking: YES
CUPS: NO
EBPF: YES
IPMI: YES
NFACCT: NO
perf: YES
slabinfo: YES
Xen: NO
Xen VBD Error Tracking: NO
Exporters:
AWS Kinesis: NO
GCP PubSub: NO
MongoDB: NO
Prometheus Remote Write: YES

CentOS 7.9

First this link: Install Netdata with kickstart.sh | Learn Netdata

and them: wget -O /tmp/netdata-kickstart.sh https://my-netdata.io/kickstart.sh && sh /tmp/netdata-kickstart.sh --claim-token --claim-url https://app.netdata.cloud

From netdata clud

I hope that helps you to understand.

Many thanks.

You bumped into an upstream issue : fix(updater): fix updating when using `--force-update` and new version of the updater script is available by ilyam8 · Pull Request #13104 · netdata/netdata · GitHub
EDITED: This issue may not be correlated eventually

You can track the progress there

In a nutshell, kickstart script first updates the Agent and then claim it, if the first fail it stops. Let me try find you a workaround