claim fails with "ERROR: FAILED TO UPDATE NETDATA : You are running this script as user with uid 0. We recommend to run this script as root (user with uid 0)

Problem/Question

I am very new to netdata, and I am having trouble “claiming” a new node into .cloud. the local agent works fine, and I can see the dashboard and such. I have created a working .cloud account. when I use the .cloud GUI to attempt to connect to my new node (copy and past the script provided by the GUI), the host script fails with "ERROR: FAILED TO UPDATE NETDATA : You are running this script as user with uid 0. We recommend to run this script as root (user with uid 0).

Relevant docs you followed/actions you took to solve the issue

i tried to use the netdata-claim script as suggested by another topic here, but that fails also, but differently, throwing off many script errors

What I expected to happen

i expected the script to run fine. seems like an odd message anyway, as it recommends exactly what it calls out as the issue.

please help

Hello @dvh and welcome in our community. What installation method you used to install Netdata? Could you provide us with your netdata -W buildinfo for the node in question?

thank you for the reply and for the welcome. I originally used your one-line install script on my nodes. I was root at the time I did the install. I did manage to get the netdata-claim script to work after some grief with bash and my PATH. so I have my nodes adopted now, but the copy/paste from the .cloud GUI does not work. I do the copy/paste, then edit the command to instead run the netdata-claim script. I have more nodes I would like to include, so it would be great if it worked as advertised, but I can make this work.

maybe I screwed up by originally installing as root?

-dvh

I was root at the time I did the install.

This is not a problem

I did manage to get the netdata-claim script to work after some grief with bash and my PATH.

To get in sync, you claimed some nodes in the cloud and you can see them in Netdata Cloud with the netdata-claim.sh script and your TOKENs from your Netdata Cloud account? Which section in our docs did you follow?

The issue has been fixed. @dvh you need to update Netdata manually

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

The latest version contains the fix.

roger that. Thank you!

regarding which section in your docs I followed…none of them. I found a message in this forum that related to a slightly different issue, but it informed me about the existence of the netdata-claim script. I thought that it would not hurt for me to try it, and after a few failed attempts (the parameter format is different, and I had to get my bash path correct), the claim worked!

I can’t right now find the forum message I am referring to…I can’t figure out how to search the forums effectively

-dvh