HP ssacli monitoring on ESXi server

Hi, I’ve just discovered this awesome project and one of the main available feature that I am interested with is HP Smart Storage Arrays monitoring.
According to documentation I’ve to enable this collector and run this via systemd netdata unit. But what if I have this array on VMWare ESXi server where I don’t have sudo or systemd? What is the approach for remote monitoring of that server?

I really don’t think there’s anything you can do to monitor it from the outside. You’d have to install a Netdata agent directly on that VM, or have someone else do that for you.

After ensuring that instance properly collects data, I would secure its UI and have it send its data to a parent outside the VM via streaming/replication

Thx for the answer. I am not sure that installing Netdata agent on VM give me anything. HP ssacli is installed on hypervisor (bare metal) so guest VM with agent won’t know anything about physical storage array.

Apologies, the previous answer was a bit silly, didn’t know anything about bare metal hypervisors before :slight_smile:

You simply must have access to ssacli or hpssacli if you’re using the ESXi server. e.g.

ESXi 5.5 → /opt/hp/hpssacli/bin/hpssacli ctrl all show config
ESXi 6.5 → /opt/smartstorageadmin/ssacli/bin/ssacli ctrl all show config

Wherever one of these commands can be executed is where Netdata needs to be installed. But they can definitely be executed somewhere.

Yes, I have ESXi v6.7 and I can execute

/opt/smartstorageadmin/ssacli/bin/ssacli ctrl all show config

The question is can I install Netdata agent on that operating system? I don’t see any VMware’s OS on the list of supporting platforms, only external collectors.

1 Like

I too am a bit curious if esxi 6.7 or better is on the road map to be supported natively like other flavors of Linux / Unix ?

BRW