Can't get Windows metrics imported using vnode

Problem/Question

Trying to add my first Windows vnode, I’m running into the following error

DBG jobmgr/manager.go:265 creating windows[srvname] job, config: map[__provider__:file reader __source__:/etc/netdata/go.d/windows.conf autodetection_retry:0 module:windows name:srvname priority:70000 update_every:5 url:http://10.x.x.x:9182/metrics vnode:srvname] component="job manager"
WRN jobmgr/manager.go:178 couldn't create windows[srvname]: vnode 'srvname' is not found component="job manager"
REPORT_JOB_STATUS 'windows' ''srvname_8567395191403402626' 'error' 0 'build error: vnode 'srvname' is not found'

I used edit-config to create the vnodes.conf file using the command

cd /etc/netdata 2>/dev/null || cd /opt/netdata/etc/netdata
sudo ./edit-config go.d/vnodes.conf

Which created the vnodes.conf file under go.d. I had previously manually created a directory and file at /etc/netdata/vnodes/vnodes.conf, mimicking the documentation, but that didn’t work either.

I’ve verified the netdata user has access to read the relevant files no matter the location (they are root rw:r:r), without luck. I CAN collect the metrics data without the vnode, but that isn’t what I need here.

Any pointers on what I’m missing?

Relevant docs you followed/actions you took to solve the issue

identifiable information purged above and here.

windows.conf

- name: srvname
    vnode: srvname
    url: http://10.x.x.x:9182/metrics

vnodes.conf

- hostname: srvname
 - guid: 8abd8b5b-112c-4b61xxxxx

I spent the last few days trying to get Windows metrics imported using vnode and failed using windows.conf.

Similarly to you I used edit-config to create the vnodes.conf but I also created a wmi.conf the same way and used that instead of windows.conf

sudo ./edit-config go.d/wmi.conf

wmi.conf

Thanks. I went down that road for a bit, but also found the blog notes at Windows Monitoring | Netdata . Following those notes, I was able to run successful tests of the configuration. It looks like the previously posted configuration information in the Wiki is just unclear, and needs to call out that

1. windows config goes in /etc/netdata/go.d/windows.conf
  2. vnode config goes in /etc/netdata/vnodes/vnodes.conf

I’m going to mark this as closed for myself, and just note that someone with wiki editing capabilities should update the source documentation to match the linked blog entry and clarify where files should be located.

I’m going to mark this as closed for myself, and just note that someone with wiki editing capabilities should update the source documentation to match the linked blog entry and clarify where files should be located.

Could you help confirm which place/wiki you saw the incorrect information?