Disable Cloud Nags

Love the product and might utilize the cloud. That said, I’m building servers for clients and I am providing a Nginx virtual host link to their Netdata dashboard. They are laypeople. They don’t need a cloud anything. Is there a method to disable the initial popup “Learn About Netdata Cloud” and the “Sign In” button and the “Connection to Cloud” statements that are a constant presence?

1 Like

Found my answer. Install via

wget -O /tmp/netdata-kickstart.sh https://my-netdata.io/kickstart.sh && sh /tmp/netdata-kickstart.sh --non-interactive --disable-telemetry --disable-cloud

I can always add the cloud when I am ready but it disables exactly what I needed to :slight_smile:

1 Like

As it turns out, the --disable-cloud flag is ignored. The nag screen still occurs upon first opening. Entire statement:

wget -O /tmp/netdata-kickstart.sh https://my-netdata.io/kickstart.sh && sh /tmp/netdata-kickstart.sh --non-interactive --disable-telemetry --disable-cloud

You are right, for this specific nudge the --disable-cloud isn’t taking any effect. It was a conscious decision to have it like that at the time this was released - this nudge proved and still proves as an effective mean to get more people to know about Netdata Cloud.

We have plans to revisit the approach we have on Agent dashboard, so not sure we will make any changes on this. We will be discussing this internally and will update with some outcome.

In the meantime, knowing it isn’t perfect, you can ask your customers to select “Remember my choice” and to stay on the agent dashboard.

Actually, there are:

• compile without Cloud support (when building from source).
  • set the NETDATA_DISABLE_CLOUD env var to 1 when creating a docker container (for docker containers).
  • I believe --disable-cloud supposed to work for native/static installs too (soft_disable_cloud responsible for that). If that doesn’t work it is a bug.

TL;DR

Try to

• create the /var/lib/netdata/cloud.d/cloud.conf (or /opt/netdata//var/lib/netdata/cloud.d/cloud.conf - depends on your install prefix) file with the following content:
[global]
  enabled = no
  • restart netdata service

screenshot with disabled Cloud

@ilyam8 I think last point from @servermatter was on the initial modal popups

I know we did include the disabling of the top “tabs” mimicking Cloud from this bug [Feat]: Disable "Discover the free benefits of Netdata Cloud" · Issue #429 · netdata/dashboard · GitHub but I don’t recall us putting the initial modal popups to have been associated with this --disable-cloud option.

I haven’t personally tested it so can’t confirm for sure

I have nothing Cloud-related on my screenshot (see prev post), I think it is exactly what @servermatter is asking about.

Ok, thanks for confirming I saw the screenshot but not sure it is representing the state right after opening the browser window (that’s when the popup will display).

There is no popup when the cloud is disabled (cloud-enabled is false in /api/v1/info (the local dashboard does /api/v1/info request)).

To clarify, that was the very first opening of the browser

I properly have "cloud-disabled": true but I’m still seeing a “Sign in” button. Any ideas how to disable it?