Trying to isntall edge (nightly) release

Hi Everyone,

I am running Ubunty Jammy, I run apt install netdata-repo-edge and now I have 2 sources.

cat netdata.list
deb Index of /repos/stable/ubuntu/ jammy/
deb Index of /repos/repoconfig/ubuntu/ jammy/
[/etc/apt/sources.list.d]
at netdata-edge.list
deb Index of /repos/edge/ubuntu/ jammy/
deb Index of /repos/repoconfig/ubuntu/ jammy/

If I run apt update is getting complain :frowning:

Fetched 6013 B in 1s (5646 B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: Target Packages (Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata-edge.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata.list:2
W: Target Translations (en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata-edge.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata.list:2
W: Target Translations (en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata-edge.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata.list:2
W: Target Contents-deb (Contents-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata-edge.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata.list:2
W: Target Contents-deb (Contents-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata-edge.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata.list:2W: Target Packages (Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata-edge.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata.list:2
W: Target Translations (en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata-edge.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata.list:2
W: Target Translations (en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata-edge.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata.list:2
W: Target Contents-deb (Contents-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata-edge.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata.list:2
W: Target Contents-deb (Contents-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata-edge.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netdata.list:2

What is the proper way to install the nightly release with apt under ubuntu? For example how to install the latest nightly go.d plugin ?

Thank you

To clarify, you previously had installed a stable release and want to install a nightly release instead?

In that case, you should be able to resolve the issue by running apt purge netdata-repo to get rid of the old config for the stable repo.

This is a known issue resulting from somewhat questionable aspect of how dpkg handles conffiles and our own misunderstanding of this when the repository configuration packages were implemented. We do plan to fix it, we鈥檝e just not gotten around to doing so yet.

Hi @Austin_Hemmelgarn

Yes I read somewhere regarding the netdata-repo, but my problem here is that there are 2 different compilation, the first is the netdata and the second is the go.d.plugin Releases 路 netdata/netdata 路 GitHub and Releases 路 netdata/go.d.plugin 路 GitHub

So, along with the latest release of netdata eg 1.38.1 someone will found also the go.d.plugin already included. Now, in netdata nightly releases I found that go.d.plugin nightly is not included in the nightly releases of netdata. So, what is the appropriate way for someone always have the nightly release of netdata AND go.d.plugin ? Where I can find the pipeline of how the packages are distributed and emerged together? eg how do I know what version of go.d.plugin is included on latest stable netdata 1.38.1?

Thank you

Hi @pgro,

Even though they are separate projects with their own releases in GitHub, the Ubuntu packages for both channels include the go.d plugin as part of the main netdata package:

ralphm@trek:~$ dpkg -l netdata
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version            Architecture Description
+++-==============-==================-============-======================================
ii  netdata        1.38.0-301-nightly amd64        real-time charts for system monitoring
ralphm@trek:~$ dpkg -S /usr/libexec/netdata/plugins.d/go.d.plugin
netdata: /usr/libexec/netdata/plugins.d/go.d.plugin

The version of the go.d plugin in the 1.38.1 release is v0.50.0, whereas for the nightlies it is v0.51.4.

Hi

Yes, but how do you verify what plugin version have the nightly? where someone can find the compilation log for deb pkg? How do you know that https://github.com/netdata/netdata/blob/master/packaging/go.d.version is included in the nightly build?

Hi,

You can inspect the full package build logs here: Actions 路 netdata/netdata 路 GitHub