Changes made in /usr/lib/netdata/conf.d/health.d/net.conf revert back after each update

Ubuntu 20.04.1LTS, I have set the “to” line in the inbound_packets_dropped_ratio template to silent however I’m still receiving warnings:

template: inbound_packets_dropped_ratio
  on: net.packets

hosts: *
families: *
lookup: sum -10m unaligned absolute of received
calc: (($inbound_packets_dropped != nan AND $this > 0) ? ($inbound_packets_dropped * 100 / $this) : (0))
units: %
every: 1m
warn: $this >= 0.1
crit: $this >= 2
delay: down 1h multiplier 1.5 max 2h
info: the ratio of inbound dropped packets vs the total number of received packets of the network interface, during the last 10 minutes
to: silent

I changed it last night -rw-r–r-- 1 root root 6077 Dec 18 20:50 net.conf After the nightly update which just ran the ‘to’ line is set back to sysadmin. Shouldn’t my settings stay the same?

`template: inbound_packets_dropped_ratio

calc: (($inbound_packets_dropped != nan AND $this > 0) ? ($inbound_packets_dropped * 100 / $this) : (0))
info: the ratio of inbound dropped packets vs the total number of received packets of the network interface, during the last 10 minutes
to: sysadmin

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 6085 Dec 19 08:01 net.conf

I see no reason why every day I have to go back in and change each template I’d made changes to.

In addition to this I changed the net.conf file in both /usr/lib/netdata/conf.d/health.d and /etc/netdata/orig/health.d like this:

template: inbound_packets_dropped
  on: net.drops

lookup: sum -10m unaligned absolute of inbound
units: packets
warn: $this >= 5
info: interface inbound dropped packets in the last 10 minutes
template: inbound_packets_dropped_ratio

The same setting in both folders. I’m still receiving notifications of inbound packets dropped ratio and inbound packets dropped.

Hello @chris.pollock,

To keep configurations between updates, please execute these steps:

$ cd /etc/netdata/
$ sudo ./edit-config health.d/net.conf

Change everything necessary and save the file. The final version will be stored at /etc/netdata/health.d/net.conf, after this you won’t lose more the configuration.

Best regards!

Good morning @Thiago_Marques_0 I’ve been making the changes using Gedit as root which I would assume would be the same as using what you’ve entered above. I think I’ve been editing the wrong file. I’ve been editing net.conf located in /usr/lib/netdata/health.d/net.conf. So, if I need to change any .conf files they should be copied over to /etc/netdata/health.d and the changes made there will be permanent?

Yes @chris.pollock, you understood perfectly! :slight_smile:
All files present at /usr/lib/netdata/health.d/ are overwritten, but files present at /etc/netdata/health.d/are kept when an update process happens.

Best regards!

Thanks @Thiago_Marques_0 I’ll be sure to remember that in the future if I have to edit any other conf files.

You are welcome!

Please, let us know if we can help you with any other doubt.

Best regards!