Chart on the Dashboard Looks Different From the Preview In 'Add Chart to Dashboard`Modal

I’m using Google Chrome Version 96.0.4664.45 on my windows machine. I’ve got netdata agents set up on certain nodes that I want to monitor, and I’ve set up a WarRoom for these nodes. I’m now attempting to create 2 dashboards - one to monitor the disk space available on the nodes and another to monitor the RAM consumption on these nodes.

Workflow:

• I’ve created a test dashboard and I’ve clicked on the ‘ADD CHART’ button which brings up the ‘Add Chart to Dashboard modal’
  • I select my node and my context. As can be seen in the image below, the desired chart is previewed correctly, as expected.
  • The chart now appears on my dashboard but looks completely different from what was shown in the modal.

The same issue happens for the system.ram graph as well. Has this been reported previously? Happy to provide any more info to help debug this further.

Hi njpau,

Thanks for reaching out to us on this.

To answer your last question this is the first time we see this being reported, I also tried to reproduce this both in our staging and production environment but couldn’t.

To try and help you could please answer some questions?

• The issue that your reporting is that a chart that you were expecting to be an “Area chart”, as in the preview, suddenly becomes a “Line chart”, right?
  • Do have the Charts 2.0 toggle disabled?
  • Does this happen other types of charts?
  • Can you check your developer devtools (e.g for chrome) and see if any error comes on your console?

Hi Hugo,

Thanks for checking this out. Here are my answers to your questions:

• The issue that your reporting is that a chart that you were expecting to be an “Area chart”, as in the preview, suddenly becomes a “Line chart”, right?
    • Yes, that is correct. I would like my dashboard to have the Area charts.
  • Do have the Charts 2.0 toggle disabled?
    • I did have the Charts2.0 toggle disabled when reporting this issue. I have tried enabling it, but the problem still persists, but looks nicer :slight_smile:
  • Does this happen other types of charts?
    • Yes, this happens with all charts. All area graphs turn into line graphs. I do have to save it and reload the page to see it happen though.
  • Can you check your developer devtools (e.g for chrome ) and see if any error comes on your console?

Thanks for giving us some more details, with this tip “I do have to save it and reload the page to see it happen though.” I was able to reproduce it, here is the GitHub issue [BUG] Chart type definitions aren't applied when loading the custom dashboard · Issue #199 · netdata/netdata-cloud · GitHub

Also thank you for the feedback on Charts 2.0 :blush:

1 Like