Monitor Pi-hole with Netdata

Right before I started my paternity leave this summer, I finally bought a Raspberry Pi so I could use Pi-hole for network-wide ad+tracker blocking. Naturally, I had to install Netdata on the Pi to make sure I’m monitoring everything with per-second granularity.

This guide came out of that effort. If I can do it while helping take care of two young children, you can do it in a weekend! :wink:

Monitor Pi-hole (and a Raspberry Pi) with Netdata

Monitor Pi-hole (and a Raspberry Pi) with Netdata

I didn’t write about it in the guide, but the most fun part of the whole process was watching, in real-time, how big of an impact a case fan makes. With the fan on, Netdata showed the Pi holding steady at 50C. As soon as I took the fan out of the case, I watched in horror as it climbed up to 73! Needless to say I turned the Pi off and put the fan back in. The tiny whine is a small price to pay…

@joel I hate fans noise too, but you don’t have to put up with it :slight_smile:

Just grab yourself a decent passive heatsink case. I have two Raspberry Pi 4’s with passive hatsink cases (more in a cluster stack) and they typically run around the 43-45 degrees Celsius mark (one is running pihole and cloudflared DNS over HTTPS proxy).

I do somewhat cheat a little because I have a 24-port switch (passively-cooled, no fans) and I sit the Raspberry Pi’s on top of that which in effect turns the switch into their extended radiator :smiley:

PiMoroni sell good ones in various colours (I have the gold and blue and they are very nice):

Aluminium Heatsink Case for Raspberry Pi 4 – Pimoroni

1 Like

I would have imagined that the switch would increase the temperature, interesting.

I am running my own personal web server on a raspberry pi, it’s get hot but who cares. It’s doing it’s work silently and efficiently, albeit without comfort. Actually, you can check the setup at blog.py | blog.py :slight_smile:

balena.io used to sell some interesting heat sinks as well, and cheaply too if I remember correctly.