Needing to connect my netdata to the cloud but require libcurl3 for other services

I’ve installed netdata through apt get netdata and all servers work as expected but because the repository does not include the ability to use the claim script to insert the api token it won’t work with cloud. I have 7+ servers I need to monitor in a single place.

I have uninstalled and tried the kickstart. it wants to install libcurl4… I have services that require libcurl3… is there a way to manually add the cloud features in a apt get netdata install?

@Odysseas told me to post here

Did you delete your netdata workspace? It could be that the token you’re giving is stale. This looks like an issue with the claiming command arguments themselves.

@Markos-Fountoulakis said in Needing to connect my netdata to the cloud but require libcurl3 for other services:

This may be a path problem, did you try running /opt/netdata/usr/sbin/netdata-claim.sh instead of netdata-claim.sh?

That was the issue but I got an error from that (the cloud war room says unreachable)

root@srv20725:~# sudo /opt/netdata/usr/sbin/netdata-claim.sh
Token: ****************
Base URL: https://app.netdata.cloud
Id: 20901410-fe63-11ea-b996-a85e45e55ee7
Rooms:
Hostname: srv20725
Proxy:
Netdata user: netdata
Generating private/public key for the first time.
Generating RSA private key, 2048 bit long modulus (2 primes)
..................+++++
............................................+++++
e is 65537 (0x010001)
Extracting public key from private key.
writing RSA key
Failed to claim node with the following error message:"token expired/token not found/invalid token"
root@srv20725:~# /opt/netdata/usr/sbin/netdata-claim.sh  -token=tZb3_IwleYYTjpVMSqhxivXCecl0uaQyWVGneJRzU_mLRwtSeD_6t52VnePc1tUhTOZq1rRoL79JK08cz_OrhoL4ecrHRsERyt44tHxvHVFQD32yWbe-zNs4KeypehgZ1XYEM9Q -rooms=e3dffcfc-c43b-43f4-a370-619f867ec6ee -url=https://app.netdata.cloud
Token: ****************
Base URL: https://app.netdata.cloud
Id: 20901410-fe63-11ea-b996-a85e45e55ee7
Rooms: e3dffcfc-c43b-43f4-a370-619f867ec6ee
Hostname: srv20725
Proxy:
Netdata user: netdata
Failed to claim node with the following error message:"Unknown HTTP error message"

I tried to claim again with a new token but then get messages about it already being claimed.

I tried deleting the claim.d folder from opt/netdata/var/lib/netdata as well as running the

/opt/netdata/usr/sbin/netdata-claim.sh -id=$(uuidgen) 

Which returns

"Failed to claim node with the following error message:"token expired/token not found/invalid token"

This may be a path problem, did you try running /opt/netdata/usr/sbin/netdata-claim.sh instead of netdata-claim.sh?

2 Likes

Hey @richard-skinner,

Sorry for this delay, we are discussing internally and we will tackle it as soon as possible. Thanks for being patient, we will get to the bottom of this :muscle:

@OdysLam said in Needing to connect my netdata to the cloud but require libcurl3 for other services:

Hey,

Can you please post your logs, just in case?

Any more thoughts on getting the claim script in? I have installed via static and it doesn’t have it. not sure why.

Third log file was empty…

error.log

access.log

Here’s my 3 log files.

Hey,

Can you please post your logs, just in case?

I tested the static install on a installation with no previous netdata install… Still won’t work with the claim sh command.

On the one I uninstalled using $ sudo apt-get remove netdata and then installed static 64 bit manually, still gave the error running claim…

Hey @richard-skinner,

Can you verify that you were able to successfully uninstall netdata and then perform a clean installation? The static installation method should come with all features enables, thus the lack of the claiming mechanism prompts me to say that it’s probably a vestige of the apt-get installation. Using the distribution’s package manager is a method which we don’t officially report, because we can’t control the process (i.e what kind of functionality is enabled or disabled by the package maintainers, which are not us).

I installed the static but I’m still getting this error when trying to insert the token

sudo: netdata-claim.sh: command not found

Yeah, it’s a simple 7 server setup, that communicates with each other… the software requires libcurl3 to run… other than that, it’s just ubuntu 18.04 small install, no gui.

Hey @richard-skinner,

Thanks for posting this. I was expecting some additional information before I replied, but here is what we know thus far:

In order to do that, you can either use the static installer or use netdata with docker.

If you give me more information about the system, we may be able to find other methods as well.

Happy monitoring and welcome to our little corner in the Internet :pray: