No cloud monitoring anymore using Yunohost package

Environment

Raspberry Pi 4

Problem/Question

yunohost server
version 1.26
Recently cloud monitoring stopped working after an update.
Says:
This agent was built with > Running your great on raspberry pi4 (yunohost server).

version 1.26

Recently cloud monitoring stopped working after an update.

Says:

This agent was built with --disable-cloud and cannot be claimed and cannot be claimed

What I expected to happen

Previously could see monitoring info on a cloud, now only directly connecting to my server

Hey @sharicov,

Just to verify, how did you install the Netdata Agent? Did you use kickstart. sh or did you use the package manager of the linux distribution?

This seems very strange and it must be frustrating that after the update it doesn’t work. I don’t know what may be the cause, but let me ping my colleagues and we will come back with more information!

Thanks for your patience :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for the quick response, initially installed it via yunohost installation mechanism, source is here: https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/netdata_ynh
Update was also done via yunohost interface.

I took a look here: GitHub - YunoHost-Apps/netdata_ynh: NetData package for YunoHost

This is not maintained by Netdata and in description I see they have disabled the cloud support:

We would have to go and ask the maintainers of “Yunohost Netdata” about why they have decided to disable the Cloud. If the reason is technical in nature we might help them make it work. If they disabled the Cloud due to some “philosophical” reason not sure what we can do.

Looking at their patch here: Upgrade to upstream version 1.26.0 & disable NetData Cloud · YunoHost-Apps/netdata_ynh@d75af1f · GitHub

they seem to be disabling cloud on purpose.

I asked about this on their GitHub Cloud Support · Issue #52 · YunoHost-Apps/netdata_ynh · GitHub
In case reason for disabling Cloud is technical I will go ahead and try help them resolve it.

Hey @sharicov,

If you are happy with the answer by @underhood, please don’t forget to mark the topic as solved, by checking the post that solved your question, clicking on the 3 dots and then clicking on the box that says “solution”.

Chjeers!

@sharicov as you can see here Cloud Support · Issue #52 · YunoHost-Apps/netdata_ynh · GitHub they decided to switch off Cloud support voluntarily (not due to some technical problem I can help them solve). I did explain to them even if Cloud is built and enabled we do not send any data unless user explicitly Claims the node.

It is however up to them to make a decision as it is their package/project.

What you can maybe do is comment on that issue to let them know there is in fact user interest for Cloud support…

On this point I will mark this forum topic as resolved (as the only way to change this is talking with that package maintainers).

I’m a new YunoHost user, who is intending to install Netdata the same way that the OP here did. I suspect that the reason YunoHost disabled the cloud support is definitely a philosophical one. The whole purpose of YunoHost as a distribution, is to democratise a decentralised internet and to host and maintain our own data. Is there a particular reason that Netdata users need to upload data back to your servers, for the application to function properly?

Hello,

As far as Cloud goes even if cloud support is compiled in Netdata Agent will not make any connection and will not send any data. Therefore even if YunoHost re-enables cloud functionality no connection will be made until you as an user explicitly ask for it (by process of claiming - connecting node to cloud first time).

So to answer your question directly. Netdata Agent as a standalone single node monitoring solution has no reason to connect to cloud to function properly. If you want to monitor more servers in single place and get some aggregate charts etc. (so you want to monitor infrastructure) you will want Cloud connection as that is the only way to do that with Netdata currently.

Again regardless of whether cloud support is enabled or not in the YunoHost package - no connection to cloud will be made until you enable it manually.

If you enable cloud and connect/claim it to cloud then data are still not sent to our cloud. We collect only metadata like chart list etc. so that when you look at the cloud dashboard we know what is there. Data are streamed from Netdata agent to your browser only on demand when you actually look at the charts on the cloud.