Netdata Community

After NetData upgrade, email alerts come as attachment instead the body of the mail (Outlook365)

Hello,

I did upgrade NetData and since then, all the email alerts have the body empty but have an attachment called “ATT00001.bin” which actually contains the alert as TEXT and HTML, both MIME formats. Seems Outlook365 cannot differentiate between the MIME types (TEXT and HTML) and bundles everything as an attachment. Now, my alerts have the body empty and need to open the “ATT00001.bin” to see the alert.
Any idea how I can fix this issue, add the alert into the email Body instead as attachment?

Thank you,
Alex

Hey,

Just to verify, you are referring to email alerts that come from your netdata agent or are you using netdata cloud?

Hey, @adolghiu.

Consider using EMAIL_PLAINTEXT_ONLY option until we fix it.

By default, netdata sends HTML and Plain Text emails, some clients
do not parse HTML emails such as command line clients.
To make emails readable in these clients, you can configure netdata
to not send HTML but Plain Text only emails.

The email alerts come from local netdata agent, no cloud.

I suppose I can disable email alert HTML format but why it worked OK, before the upgrade? I have server for which I haven’t upgraded NetData and that one, still sends the emails correctly. If it was a change in Outlook365, my reason would be that all NetData instances should have been affected. But only the upgraded ones are.

There was a change in the past month or so to the email format for the agent’s alerts IIRC. My guess is that that somehow broke the MIME encapsulation. The attachment name is the ‘default’ attachment name used by Outlook when it finds something it thinks is an attachment that has no associated name, which in turn is usually caused by broken MIME encapsulation on the sending side.

Thank you Austin for sharing “The attachment name is the ‘default’ attachment name used by Outlook when it finds something it thinks is an attachment that has no associated name, which in turn is usually caused by broken MIME encapsulation on the sending side.”