SNMP for Dell iDRAC: collect.go:46 skipping OID unsupported type

I am following the netdata documentation SNMP device monitoring with Netdata | Learn Netdata for adding in additional SNMP monitoring for Dell iDRAC into netdata. I am getting an error of unsupported type when trying different oid #s. I can run the snmp check fine from the command line on the system to the same remote IP. Looking at the gosnmp documentation GitHub - gosnmp/gosnmp: An SNMP library written in Go type OctetString is supported. I am not sure what is causing the unsupported type error with netdata snmp.

netdata -v:
netdata v1.34.1

…/netdata/go.d/snmp.conf:
jobs:

• name: iDRAC
    update_every: 30
    hostname: “X.X.X.X”
    options:
    version: 1
    charts:
    • id: “system-name”
      title: “system-name”
      dimensions:
      • name: “system-name”
        oid: “1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0”

./go.d.plugin -d -m snmp:
[ DEBUG ] build[manager] build.go:153 received config group (‘/etc/netdata/go.d/snmp.conf’): 1 jobs (added: 1, removed: 0)

[ DEBUG ] build[manager] build.go:302 building snmp[iDRAC] job, config: map[provider:file reader source:/etc/netdata/go.d/snmp.conf autodetection_retry:0 charts:[map[dimensions:[map[name:system-name oid:1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0]] id:system-name title:system-name]] hostname:X.X.X.X module:snmp name:iDRAC options:map[version:1] priority:70000 update_every:15]

[ INFO ] snmp[iDRAC] snmp.go:115 hostname=X.X.X.X,port=161,snmp_version=1,community=public

[ DEBUG ] snmp[iDRAC] collect.go:46 skipping OID ‘1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0’ (unsupported type ‘OctetString’)

[ ERROR ] snmp[iDRAC] job.go:168 check failed

Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance!

Hi, @rwadc. Netdata can’t collect OctetString as dimensions values, the values should be numbers (oid values), not strings.

Hi @ilyam8 ,
I am not following the comment of oid values, unless it is referring to the example of collecting the same in/out network data from multiple nics (oid.nic#). So the netdata snmp cannot be used to poll and send all values to a database to be used in other graphing/searching solution?

thanks

Hi @ilyam8 ,
I believe I figured out the oid values comment. The snmpwalk on the Dell iDRAC gives the below types, but netdata would only graph the Timeticks values. I also found that the ‘./go.d.plugin -d -m snmp’ check would fail while using snmp v1 where it would continue and just report “unsupported ‘’” while using snmp v2.

Dell iDRAC returned types:
STRING
Hex-STRING
OID
Timeticks
Counter32
Counter64
INTEGER
IpAddress

Thanks

@rwadc types we collect/skip can be seen here

would fail while using snmp v1

Can you share the output when it fails? I guess your network device doesn’t respond to v1 queries.